You might be eligible for unemployment if you lost your job or had your hours cut.
You can follow the instructions in the following information to file a claim.
Am I Eligible?
If you have a W-2 and satisfy any of the following criteria, you can be qualified for regular unemployment benefits:
- You are either entirely or partially unemployed as a result of a layoff, a furlough, lower pay, or fewer hours.
- Your jobless benefits were no longer valid.
Note: We encourage you to apply for benefits if you think your status as an independent contractor was incorrect. We will then assess your eligibility.
Get an Estimate
Use the UI Benefit Calculator to estimate how much unemployment benefits you might be eligible to receive.
In order to assess your eligibility for unemployment benefits and compensation after you file for unemployment, we will verify your job history and eligibility.
Get Your Information in Order
Unemployment Benefits Application Deadline, Little advance planning can go a long way! Prepare to compile the following information at a glance:
- the name of the most recent employment, the name of the immediate superior, the address (both mailing and physical), and the phone number. Indicate yourself as your previous employer if you are self-employed, a business owner, or an independent contractor.
- Your last day of employment and the cause of your unemployment.
- Gross earnings during the final week you worked, from Sunday through your last day of employment. You will require your net income (total after taxes), if you work for yourself or as an independent contractor.
- Name, address (mailing and physical), dates of employment, gross earnings, number of hours worked per week, hourly rate of pay, and the reason you are no longer employed for each employer you worked for in the last 18 months.
- You will require your net income (total after taxes), if you work for yourself or as an independent contractor.
Unemployment Benefits Application Deadline, We introduced ID.me, a simple and secure method for confirming your identity in UI Online. When you submit a new claim, a link will lead you to the ID.me website, where you can upload a photo of your ID and a selfie (personal photo) to prove your identity.
You will need to attend a video conference with ID.me and submit one of the following if we require more information to confirm your identity:
You must complete your unemployment application after your video conference with ID.me. Return to your application after logging into UI Online. You can access the ID.me login page by using UI Online. Log in to give ID.me permission to provide the EDD access to your identity information. After choosing Allow, submit your unemployment application.
You must submit a claim by phone, fax, or letter if ID.me cannot help you confirm your identity when you apply online.
You can ask for assistance with the ID.me verification procedure by:
- Through your ID.me account, you can communicate with a video agent whenever you choose, day or night.
- To file a support ticket, go to ID.me Support.
Prepare to Apply
Unemployment Benefits Application Deadline, In the first week after losing your work or having your hours decreased, file for unemployment. Your claim officially starts on Sunday of the week you filed your unemployment claim. Before receiving unemployment insurance benefits, your claim must first undergo a one-week unpaid waiting period. Only if you certify for benefits and satisfy all requirements for that week’s eligibility can you complete the waiting period. If you meet the qualifying conditions for both weeks, your initial certification will typically include the one-week unpaid waiting period and one week of payment. To continue receiving benefits payments, you must recertify for benefits every two weeks.
Benefit Year End Date
Unemployment benefits application deadline, Regular unemployment insurance benefit years conclude 12 months following the initial filing of the claim.
Even if there is a balance on your claim, you cannot be compensated for weeks of unemployment after your benefit year expires. If you still have weeks left in your benefit year, keep certifying for benefits.
If you made enough money in the previous 18 months and are still unemployed or working part-time, you may file for a fresh claim.Apply online, and we’ll let you know as soon as your fresh claim is handled. In most cases, this takes two to three weeks.
Consult the unemployment benefit calculator for further details.
Unemployment Benefits Application Deadline, You must reapply by phone, mail, or fax for a new claim if you served in the military, worked for a federal agency, or performed employment-related services in a state other than California within the previous 18 months.
If you didn’t make enough money in the previous 18 months to support a fresh claim, you don’t need to reapply.
Log into UI OnlineSM and check your Claim Summary to see when your benefit year ends. The end of your benefit year is 12 months from the beginning of your benefit year.
Unemployment Benefits Application Deadline. After you file for unemployment benefits, you will often get necessary documentation from us within two weeks. Make the required preparations to prevent the denial or postponement of your unemployment benefits. you prevent payment delays, make sure you read and react to all inquiries.